Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Books by Michelle Moran

This past week I've spent the majority of my time reading books by Michelle Moran. While I was desperatly trying to find out the possible release date of Justin Cronins next book I stumbled onto a book review website and got caught up with the descriptions of her novels and had to buy them.

I wouldn't neccesarily classify them as YA (the plots, character names, theme of the books etc, are for a more mature audience) but they are good crossovers. The characters in all three books are based on famous historical women, Mutnodjmet (Nefertiti), Nefertari (The Heretic Queen), and Kleopatra Selene (Cleopatra's Daughter)

Nefertiti has always been of interest to me and I really enjoyed the research and detail that Michelle Moran dedicated to this book. The main character in this novel is Nefertiti's sister and the relationship that develops between them is both realistic and disturbing.

The second novel The Heretic Queen was the one that pulled me in right from the start and had me sitting up until all hours of the night. Nefertari is a sympathetic character and one that remains easy to identify with regardless of the fact she's an egyptian princess.

Cleopatra's Daughter has been the hardest one for me to really get passionate about. The politics and overwhelming number of characters and their relationships to one another are almost impossible to follow. The story is engaging, but slower paced, sometimes getting lost in all the details about Rome.

Overall I really enjoy her writing style and the amount research that's evident in her novels. I will definately be picking up her newest novel Madame Tussaud when it comes out next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment